Sunday, December 1, 2013

Grain-Free Cloverleaf Rolls


In middle school, one of my traumas was my uneven earlobes. One was higher than the other! Gasp, the agony. I could not wear earrings because it made me feel so uncomfortable. They were clip-ons, uncomfortable anyway, but the delicate dangling earrings just made me feel even more awkward. Thankfully my earlobes have evened out now, or maybe my head is wider and no one notices if they are a little off!

Humans love symmetry. Studies show that we are more attracted to symmetrical faces. I think that we are also attracted to symmetrical food! Hence I adore and recommend these cloverleaf rolls. They are cleverly baked in a muffin tin so they come out with three pull-apart sections.


The rolls are made with a simple stir-together batter. The only part that takes a bit of time is rolling the little balls, but it is well worth it for the symmetrical appeal.

The first time I made these rolls I used almond and sesame seed flour. I made the sesame seed flour by blending the seeds in a food processor until finely chopped. The second time I used black sesame flour, which I found at my local (Singaporean) grocery store. You can use any mixture of nut flours made from finely ground nuts. In general they are cheaper to blend at home than buy.


Onion Cloverleaf Rolls
adapted from The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking
makes 8 - 10 rolls

3 c (about 300 g) mixed nut flour, such as almond and sesame seed flours
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
1/2 t xanthan gum
1 1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t dried oregano
2 eggs
1/4 c (60 ml) melted butter
1/4 c minced onion

In a large bowl, stir together the nut flours, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, onion powder, and dried oregano.
Add the other ingredients and stir for about a minute to get a thick, sticky batter.
Oil your hands and your work surface. Roll about tablespoons of batter and place three in each muffin hole.
Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 20 minutes.
Allow to cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn out gently onto a rack to cool.


Do you like symmetrical people or food?

Connect with Simply Cooked on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails